When it comes to cleaning residential windows, power washing is a great way to make them look brand new without having to spend the time and money on a professional job. However, it’s important to be cautious and follow a few simple tips when using a power washer.
1. Don’t Pressure Wash Your Windows – It Can Damage Them – Most window manufacturers and companies that sell windows warn against the use of a pressure washer. This is because a high-pressure spray can break the seal in your windows (causing them to become foggy), and it can also cause the glass to crack or shatter. This is something you don’t want to risk if you care about your home’s curb appeal.
2. Avoid Spraying Directly Head-On – You can clean your windows from the top and bottom at the same time, but it’s better to start off from an angle and work your way to the center of the frame. This is more effective at lifting dirt and loose paint than spraying it directly at the window.
3. Use Soap – A good quality soap is key to making your window shine, so be sure to choose a detergent that is specifically for power washing. There are several options to choose from, including Bio-Green, Simply Green and Sun Joe.
4. Pre-Wash Your Windows – Before you begin, be sure to pre-wash your windows with a mild detergent. This will help to remove any loose dirt that might clog your nozzle, and it’ll make the process much easier as well.
5. Dry Your Windows – After you’re done with the power washing, be sure to dry your windows quickly. Doing so will prevent streaking and stains from the soapy water.
6. Be sure Your Windows Are in Good Repair – It’s also important to check the putty and caulking around your windows before you begin. If the putty is brittle, it can break under the pressure of a high-pressure spray. If the caulking is broken, this can lead to moisture entering your home and possibly causing mold.
7. Aside From Exterior House-Washing Projects – It’s best to use a power washer for siding, fences, concrete driveways/sidewalks, and cars, not windows. The high-pressure spray can damage your windows, and it can even blast away lead paint chips that could be ingested by children.
In addition to cleaning windows, you can also use a pressure washer to remove algae from your roof. This algae can actually grow and feed off the materials in your shingles, so it’s important to get it taken care of before it gets too bad.
In order to clean your windows with a power washer, you’ll need the right equipment and a little bit of knowledge. You can do it yourself with a few easy steps and some safety precautions, or you can hire an experienced Annandale, VA power washing services to do the job for you. The latter is a great choice for those who are short on time and don’t have the experience to do it safely.